Monday, October 12, 2009

Vis. Lang: test 2 with comments from friday

All together from Friday's Crit. I was given the idea to make the actual ribbon from the shoes to make the date, which I still feel it is kind of a obvious way to treat that. Also to play around more with the typography to get a sense of unity through the whole thing. I felt like with feedback of the pointe shoes was the same response that didn't really help. With the 'In the Heart of Holland,' the feedback I got back was to try cut out type for hand rendering as well as keeping the feel of the cut out shapes of the dancer, also to keep the dancer in a angle like manner to give another dimension. Another thing that happened which I still haven't figured out why was the fact that some people were saying they could see both of my directions switch from what they originally represent.

With the process of doing the 'In the Heart of Holland,' I choose to keep everything hand-made, which kept to the homey feeling that everyone was getting originally from Friday. While doing this process, I realized having two dancers instead of one gave more ability to play with the position of type and figures. This also opened up the possibly to the background and I was going towards complementary colors or similar feelings towards them. I personally think the yellow background isn't working, so I was thinking of a cool color like a blue that is light, to bring out the type and figures to pop. I had fun trying to configure how to position the type in a way that it read easy. When I did set up for this I wanted to limit myself to two different type sizes, so I really could get expressive and not have to over think of the size of things. Hopefully it was successful.


With the process of the pointe shoes, I got good feedback of what needed to be done. I did go back and rephotographed from what I originally had, and I feel like these were more successful that the lighting was easier to handle since I did use the photo room and that helped with setup I was really wanted to go towards. I played around with how the class wanted to see the ribbons make the date because they felt like the hand rendered would possibly draw away from the whole piece, and from there I tried to photograph it in different advantage points to see what point that someone can't see the year. While photographing, I feel that I will keep to a black and white feel to leave someone thinking of what they are looking at even though the picture will very clear. Playing with type was really fun just trying to find a variety of ways to go towards. I personally feel that this direction is stronger in that it is very direct to the viewer, where as the Holland piece is playing off the idea of 'in the heart of downtown' saying that I would always hear when I would go on tours. Hopefully these two directions turned out the way they need to be, but we will see.

1 comment:

jamie said...

Jessica you've made some good observations and reflections about the crit here, including that you question some of the group comments (e.g. The date in ribbon being too "obvious" - that style can be overplayed. The modes not being interchangeable - although this is a good comment to help you address hierarchy).

A couple of things to think about when you encounter this is: you may need to re-frame or clarify your intentions to the class (verbally and visually) until it communicates. You need to learn to filter out those comments that may deter you from your main objective and trust in your own intuition.