Thursday, September 17, 2009

Type: Final Thoughts

With this project, The Mailer, I've done a lot of thinking to come up with a concept. Also while doing a design that read well, as well as represent the typeface. My thought process of approaching this typeface was how the creator, Robert Slimbach, had the idea of making the type seem like the Renaissance era with a modern twist involved, so I did an approach where I made the setting of Minion to the Renaissance era and adding a modern twist to how their papers or books looked like back then. I kept to my two adjectives that I pulled from a list that I thought represented the typeface, which was dramatic and tradition with a modern flare.

Keeping the tradition, I showed the capabilities of the typeface as a book font in some places as well as working on a grid system to show how well the typeface was capable of dealing with space, since my research showed how Minion was created to fit more texts and save money that you spent on space.

Overall my concept was making something that derived from a old type idea to a new idea with an old twist. Meaning the idea of the parchment paper as the background, as well as an initial that started the piece that gave the idea of a illuminated book feel by also adding a dramatic kick with the big parentheses as an example.

No comments: