Monday, February 1, 2010

A little research

So with a little research, I learned that the area I want to dabble into is something that we have tried before, which started with bit-mapping. I want to give my approach a deeper meaning. This means I'm looking at modular typefaces and the way they can be placed. I found that modularity was key in my research, but I focused more of those that reinforced the grid or broke the grid in one way. The influences I looked at for staying within the grid was Josef Muller Brockmann, Emil Ruder, Jan Tischold, and the contributors of the book Making and Breaking the Grid By Tim Samara. Along with the book, I looked at Wolfgang Weingart as the influence of breaking the grid.

Some of the research I dabbled in a bit is by looking at artist that have either bold content or form. I was looking at Rick Valicenti, Elliot Earls, and Woody Pirtle for the intention to broaden my visual intentions for a viewer. One of things that I learned by these three is underlying meaning to visual, meaning you can have all the information on a page but it can be an abstract idea. So these influences will help on how I want to showcase my experiment study.

Some of the areas I'm interested in are:

Type that will be interested by the eye
Taking a different approach of breaking down a typeface to the core in multiple grids that are modular in 2D
Different approach on method of taking
Show that type on a flat plane can be 3D by color
Try to make my message engaging to a viewer that is visual by the type
Figure out if there is a scientific approach to making type from a grid, asking the question "what is the specific point that is similar in this typeface, and what does it take to keep the point in the same place, if possible?"

No comments: