Sunday, February 14, 2010

Type: Experimental type so far

The question that I went with is "How can a pre-existing typeface be manipulated to fit into a specified grid?"

Through the process of experimenting I came along the lines of dealing with sans serif and serif fonts such as Helvetica and Bodoni. Through the use of grids I broaden the idea of what type of grids I would use. For the first grid I used the general 4 x 4 grid that you can get at any store for math classes. Before I even started filling in the grid, I made a rule of filling only the squares or shapes of what the original letter form falls into it.
By the second step, I kept with the general grid, but decided to go with a smaller grid to see how the shapes would react in this 8 x 8 grid.
Step 3 consisting of another simplistic grid that can be used in many different ways, like in a layout or in this case forming to a grid. Through this step, the clarity of each font isn't shown because some of the forms could get confused with another letter.
Step 4 of answering the question, I decided to go into a different direction rather than just squares which most bitmap fonts are formed off of. It was this step that I realized that the Bodoni font became to give a gothic, black letter form. To me it was surprising on how both reacted differently and only Bodoni came out nicer than the other.

By step 5, the gird I choose dealt with a star formation, in which no matter what I did give each font the connotation of spiking or the stay away feel. This grid is probably my least favorite, so I might choose a different grid later to broaden on.
Step 6 of the grid experiment was an adventure in that each letterform has it's own personality, that also kept a bit of the original structures like the serifs and some of the thin stokes.
It was step 7 that I found a grid that gets as close to the original letterform, but it doesn't follow under the question because it does the least manipulation to the form.
Through the first 7 steps I choose easy to use almost anywhere fonts. This next part of my experiment is to use fonts that can only be used for certain reasons and not in books like cooper black. I also decided to make the point size of the fonts bigger to see if there is a huge difference. The idea of changing the size of the font will help determine if the original steps taken will be close in the same fonts used before while still exploring the new font faces.



No comments: