Thursday, February 4, 2010

Type: Week 2 Reading response

what do you think about technology's role in enabling typographic experimentation? what technology is the present-day equivalent to the desktop computer, and how might that be utilized in type design or typography?

The technology's role in enabling typographic experimentation has of course changed through out the years. I still hear the stories of there not being an undo short key, which makes me feel like we have to work harder to be more persistent. We may have the key to undo things, but sometimes I feel like we need to experience what some designers have gone through. If we didn't have the capability of having a computer, then maybe we would be looser in expressing the piece. One thing I'm happy I try to do is to sketch out my ideas more before getting glued to the screen, I feel as it keeps my mind open to many different possibilities instead get stuck one idea. And my brother and I always talk about how computers are not humans in the fact they don't compare to the human hand for the sensibility purpose. I feel the closest we can get to a desktop computer is to keep learning different methods they we can only do by hand, in which experimenting comes handy.

what potential exists for continuing to explore the "second order of denotation" as mentioned in the cranbrook/mccoy sections?

On page 14 it was explained that "to enhance the meaning while not abandoning the framework that unites the whole" would be another way to look at formats and conventions, but to me what does this all mean. Well to answer that I feel like it meant to think of different ways of explaining ideas, so having one word represent more ideas or feelings. I also think it means interactivity of viewers to a piece to get them to think and see if they understand. I also feel like McCoy's way of word play has given the spark of secondary levels of meaning.

further, what potential might your area of interest have to "promote multiple rather than fixed meanings" as jeffery keedy mentions? and what role might the reader play in the construction of your typographic messages?

I feel that the way I take my messages will have either an underling of meaning and the ability to make the viewer think of what the message is. I really want to figure out multiple ways of representing a grid based type and the grid. I think the role of the viewer would be a variable on whether it is understandable, but I'm hoping in one way to figure out how to make this project interactive, so the viewer themselves learn what I learned.

No comments: