Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Narrative in Sound: statement for nonlinear project

This is the part I almost forgot to have, but here is a bit of a repeat.

My final direction I went with looks very clean but conceptually there of paint program updated. I changed my icons into bitmap which made them look more pleasing and then I got away with the color view idea.


In this first scene you can hover over anything at the bottom and things either move up or down. Click on an icon to get a video with sound or no sound to play.

This is what it would look like if playing.
If you go to the color palette, you are able to see the buttons move and then by clicking on any of the bottom colors are sound effects and then the top colors have some images and some more sounds included. When the image comes up it is the same size as the video.
Here are a close up of the icons bitmap. I had the idea of having different colors of paint to identify them as different videos and have sound, where the spray paint doesn't have any paint coming out to indicate that there is no sound.

Through this whole process of coming up with an interface help me understand how different components as a whole work together, how to control items as a designer, and make it entertaining. I also realized on how important each and every key part in actionscript needs to be spelled correcting and names need to be simple for remembering became so important to make everything work. When I first looked at this project, I was a bit confused on how everything was going to be compiled together into flash, but I seemed to understand it well enough.

What music, voice, and sound effects bring to a narrative that is different from visual communication channels?

The way I interpreted it was with the different sounds provided can either give a clearer meaning to certain part, or a deeper meaning of emotion towards the medium and/or enhance the experience.

The different communicative qualities of music, voice, and sound effects (compare and contrast)

There are many different layers towards music, voice, and sound effects. Music can perceive an emotion as well as speed towards a video, like my kinetic type video has a fast pace to it. With sound effects, you can perceive different parts by how it portrays the action of an object, as well as, giving an image clarity. When it comes to voice to image or video, voice can be different things. Voice can give the right meaning of clarity by actually saying what it is, or give a reaction to certain point, or tone of the voice can change everything. I felt that voice was something that was difficult for the factor of either speaking to fast, or to high, or stumbling over words to be a problem.

The differences between simultaneous and sequential communication

Simultaneous is where you are given the ability to do have multiple plots to a story or no certain direction to follow. With sequential communication, the viewer has a path that they have to follow for it to make sense. I feel that my nonlinear project has a bit of both, for when you click on the spray paint you can have the ability to have a song or sound effects with it by clicking on them. I did give the other videos sound to give the sequential feel, but added the factor that you can click on a sound effect. This ability of using both can altered the meanings.

user vs designer control of your project

As designers, we want to say something through our designs, but to have the visually appealing to the user, the interface needs to convey user feeling accessibility. With the interface being easily read by viewer, that opens up the door as to what the viewer wants to reveal. Overall user has so called 'the right way' or 'the costumer is never wrong' concept, meaning the designer can't always control everything, so noise may come into play, with either concept or design.

participants’ ability to discover relationships through interactive play

Even when we were young, our minds want to explore what ever comes are way. Our brain is link to many important things, like reasoning. Discovering opportunities just opens the mind more to see what it can consume. With the discovery of one song of 'I'm Bouncing off the walls again....' is thought of how monkeys might feel when stared at, but also getting at the childlike feature of the color pencils and the paint program itself.

2 comments:

dkozlov said...

I like the simplicity of your layout. It reminds me of MS Paint, which I think is very appropriate. Your bitmap icons are also very cute and inviting. I just wanna click them. I think it's a great idea incorporating some stills with sounds as well as your moving imagery. The product of painting is stills, so it makes sense. One thing missing is a voice-over. I would have definitely liked to have heard a recording of some sort of voice. I think your song choice is appropriate for the most part, except, when I think about people painting, I don't think of them bouncing of the walls. Maybe in the modern day, when people go nuts when they paint, but the classical way of painting you have depicted does not speak to that. As far a function, there seems to be an issue with the button that plays The Shins' song. It cuts off abruptly almost at the beginning of the song. Is it suppose to do that? If so then it is a very abrupt and unpleasant ending. In fact, most of your songs seem to end abruptly, although most play out longer than The Shins song. I think it would be a good idea for the songs to be at least the same length as the clips, otherwise the ending is jarring. Or fade the music. Either way.

Other than some technical issues, very aesthetically pleasing. Plays on my heartstrings with the MS Paint reference.

Amanda Laffoon said...

Hey jessica
First of all you were very very helpful to everyone through out this process which shows you proficient knowledge in html. I feel that your layout was very simple but usable and there was very little confusion with what to click on and where it will pop up. I only wonder if you could have explored a few more ideas to mix it up however i got the feeling that i was in paint on my computer....so it does work. I like how you created icons to represent the different videos that would play. As for the color swatches on the left was a nice way to add your extra sounds to play with. I wonder though if there would be a different way to organize which sound when where or maybe separate the still images from the sound. I felt that most of your sounds were relevant however i had a hard time figuring out what they were. But when i would think about the animation and the act of painting i could usually decided what they are. Your project has a childish feel with goes along with your original flip book rendering style. I am curious where your voice over is...it could have been nice to give another layer or dimension to your original narrative.Some of your songs seems to be cut a little sharply. But good job girl!