Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Narrative in Sound: Final

Sketches of initial visual directions

From this state I was looking at the idea of the paint program and how it looked, but wanting to upgrade it a bit to be more conceptual to the idea of painting a picture in many different levels. Through this thought process, I was considering one button being the delete button or in this case clean the paint brush until I realized I wouldn't necessarily need them since in actionscript we were using the actual buttons themselves as the turn on and off. Also in this state I was thinking different types of icons ranging from the original buttons they used to a common paint item used.

Semi final direction

My semi final state was considering how color would be played out as well as the icons being illustrated digitally. From here I was told to take in under some consideration to "bitmap my icons" for the final, so in my final it could add more character to them since the illustrations weren't really working yet.


Final Direction in process

My final direction I went with looks very clean but conceptually there of paint program updated. I changed my icons into bitmap which made them look more pleasing and then I got away with the color view idea.


In this first scene you can hover over anything at the bottom and things either move up or down. Click on an icon to get a video with sound or no sound to play.

This is what it would look like if playing.
If you go to the color palette, you are able to see the buttons move and then by clicking on any of the bottom colors are sound effects and then the top colors have some images and some more sounds included. When the image comes up it is the same size as the video.
Here are a close up of the icons bitmap. I had the idea of having different colors of paint to identify them as different videos and have sound, where the spray paint doesn't have any paint coming out to indicate that there is no sound.

Through this whole process of coming up with an interface help me understand how different components as a whole work together, how to control items as a designer, and make it entertaining. I also realized on how important each and every key part in actionscript needs to be spelled correcting and names need to be simple for remembering became so important to make everything work. When I first looked at this project, I was a bit confused on how everything was going to be compiled together into flash, but I seemed to understand it well enough.

No comments: