Friday, December 4, 2009

Narrative in Sound: Final Statement

Art21 redone opener from Jessica Meurer on Vimeo.

here is the final piece but the file got messed up while being uploaded so I'll try again after class to see if there is a difference.

My theme came from the show Art:21- Art in the 21st Century. I choose this opener to redo because the original showed less interest with just line and type. I kept a voice over to give the title of show, but changed the style so that it sounds like something epic is going to happen.The way I approached Art 21 scene is by giving each letter form that constructs different mediums of art.

So part of process was to cut out every image of each letter form and to fix the lighting in all of them so they would look similar. This process became a meditative part in the whole putting the opener together. When I went into flash I put each letter on their own layer. Doing so would showcase each form all together instead one at a time. I needed the letters to be shown all together otherwise a viewer would not understand what was going on as clear. From the original they showed words that made up Art 21, so I choose to keep that idea in mine but less so that there is a smaller story within it. The three words are learn, create, and grow. The thought that went into the three words were on the factor of when I was younger I had a teacher that would say those words to influence us to do more with our lives. One of the things that I learned through out this project that is harder than you think to come up with an idea and be able to present in the manner that you would like. I also learned that doing analog work is strong way to approach a project because in the end it doesn't look like the program you used.


Final Stills


So looking at my actual file the three words don't stick in the original. Overall I learned more little elements in flash that use to take me a long time to find last year. The one thing that I do enjoy in my opener is the transition with the voice over coming in that leaves the viewer to read the title and watch it introduce the three people being in the show.

2 comments:

Kate Morr said...

Hey Jess.
From what you had today I think you have a good show opener coming. I think that the way you created your own letterforms is a great idea. It plays off of the fact that your show is based on creativity and art. However, they still need revised. Like the R looks a little weird. Personally, I like the A, I think it's a good way to show it.. I like the way that you can barely see it in the beginning, but you can still tell what it is. :D

When it comes to your other type, I think you should chose a different typeface.

I think a voice over is a good idea, but whispering isn't getting your point through.

Your communication channels speak pretty evenly, however I feel that the type can be revised.

Using artwork in the background is a great idea. It definitely works for me.. It is visually appealing and explains that it's an art show.

Andrea 'Mo' Morris said...

Well I would like to start off by saying that I admire the work ethic behind the analog type. I think that it is working very nicely for your opener. I know you don't want to talk about the whisper voice, so I won't. :) The typeface used in the credits is very bold and harsh, and I think that the opener needs something more delicate and modern. The Jackson Pollock transition is too close to the the bottom of the screen, but the other credits are nicely placed.

I was thinking that it would be nice for your opener to start with a completely white screen, so that the viewer couldn't automatically see some of your awesome analog type just yet! The building of those letter forms should be slower, because it is interesting and it should let us view it in detail.

It might be nice too if you built the credits yourself, maybe not so intricate as the title (for sake of time and clarity) so that they reference the architecture of the titles logotype. They could be built out of one of the objects that you used in the title...maybe. I enjoyed the animation, thank you!